Friday, January 4, 2008

Oscar Got it Right

Best Cinematography in 1978
Nestor Almendros - Days of Heaven
aka Days of Heaven - in 10 Pictures
Richard Gere at a steel factory. (Click below for more pictures and comments)


Oscar went to Nestor Almendros, but Haskell Wexler was the DP for the last 20 or so days.

.
Director Terrence Malick chose to shoot a large percentage of the movie at the “magic hour”, the 20-40 minutes between sunset and nightfall.


A far-off rainstorm.

Production designer/Art director Jack Fisk (Sissy Spacek’s husband) deserves special mention. Fisk's latest triumph is There Will Be Blood with the oil derrick, mine shaft, and bowling alley sets.

"Christina's World" was inspiration for many of the shots.

Sam Shepard's first acting gig. (He's at the door - work with me people.)


Brooke Adams on screen right had quite a year in 1978 with this and the first remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Of course, Malick loves him some animal and nature shots.

The best sunset is very late in the film.






3 comments:

Lawyer said...

Makes me want to keep watching it over and over. Did you get the criterion collection version? Its really good.

Doctor said...

Just finished the Criterion commentary. Pretty interesting, especially the casting director objecting to the Sam Shepherd casting. For first-time viewers, the pacing and simple story will probably disappoint, but having watched it twice in the last week, the overall effect is hypnotic.

Lawyer said...

I'm still finishing my TWBB review, but I think it shares the 'slow burn' quality with Days. I didn't like days the first time, a little the second, and now I could watch it weekly. I liked TWBB the first time, but I think it will take 3 or 4 viewings to really get in its bones.