Saturday, January 26, 2008

27 Dresses C+


In Theatres, Rated PG-13, 107 Minutes

27 Dresses isn’t the worst romantic comedy I’ve seen in the last few years- not by a long shot, actually- it’s just every romantic comedy I’ve seen in the last couple years. There’s not an original scene in this beauty. You’ve got the sing-a-long (My Best Friend's Wedding), the unrequited boss love (The Holiday), the multiple wedding dance montage (Wedding Crashers), the overlooking of the obvious choice in the spotlight of infatuation (Teen Wolf comes to my mind, but the list is endless), and on and on. The “novel” twist here is that the single girl who’s been in a million weddings (okay, 27) and is obsessed with weddings herself is the main character not her best friend.

So, why isn’t this the worst romantic comedy? For starters, Katherine Heigl is the marriage-obsessed girl in the sing-a-longs, dance montage, and boss love. She’s been propping up and pulling off crap storylines as the least consistent character on Grey’s Anatomy for years. Beyond being Golden-Era-Hollywood gorgeous, she has comic chops, impeccable timing, and the ability to make you sympathize with her even when she publicly destroys her little sister (an entire tributary that seems forced). The object of her unspoken infatuation is eco-friendly boss Edward Burns (She’s the One. What happened to his career?). Unfortunately, her sister the model (Malin Akerman, The Heartbreak Kid) comes to town and sweeps Burns off his feet before Heigl can tell her the score. Meanwhile, newspaper wedding columnist James Marsden (Cyclops of the X-men franchise) sees a story of unbridled corporate greed in Heigl’s wedding obsession and writes the story then falls in love with her (the rip-off with the best pedigree- Roman Holiday). Toss in Judy Greer reviving her role as the salty-mouthed, over-sexed best friend from 13 Going on 30 and just push play.

There’s nothing here that will surprise you, except for the overly-syrupy voice over at the end which has to make even post-feminists blush, but it’s largely palatable and pretty harmless (so long as you single guys are prepared to actualize your dearies entire life and every unmet dream). C+

10 comments:

Lawyer said...

I hope she was worth it.

Lindsay said...

its your own fault for seeing this. you can't blame anyone else.

Lawyer said...

The last time I ventured near a 'chick flick' was Devil Wears Prada, and the Parisian girly music montage almost ended my life.

Anonymous said...

please, cinema snobs. i went with a crew of people. in my world this is called "paying my dues." it's how i make up for talking people into seeing violent, no happy ending, love is hell independent films that also end up sucking. this was the number 2 film in the country last weekend. someone's got to be reviewing films that the majority of people are actually going to see.
and, for the record, better than prada which goes down as one of the worst chick flick experiences of my life (with that awful in her shoes movie with cameron diaz).

ch said...

Priest I applaud you! Yes, applaud...right now I am standing in my living room and applauding...and typing. Why you ask am I doing all this applauding.

Because for one night you lowered your nose and embraced an entirely new demographic to your blog. Right now 20-30 year old girls are becoming down with the DLP thanks to you reviewing a film they would love.

You think these ladies are checking out your site to read reviews of There Will Be Blood...please kids.

I doubt I'll watch this movie, but I do give mad props for venturing past the indie theaters and heading to the metroplex and checking out what the simple folk do.*

*That comment is not to infer that women between the ages of 20-30 are simple folk as much as is to imply that this is a movie that appeals to the average American. It is also a shout out to Camelot.

Doctor said...

OK Lawyer - you take Meet the Spartans and I'll take How She Move. Better yet, you take both and I'll take Rambo and TWBB again. Priest, you get Alvin/Chipmunks + Mad Money + Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus concert movie for opening Pandora's Box.

Lawyer said...

Just wait till I post my review of last night's Van Halen concert. Talk about a new demographic.

ch said...

Man tag teamed I feel like Obama vs. the Clintons after a South Carolina debate.

Any movie with Kathrine Heigl, save Zyzzyx Road,operates from a different place than Alvin and the Chipmunks. Namely in that none of the Chipmunks are hot.

I'm not saying that you guys should go slumming for movie reviews, it' just nice to read something the general populace would watch.

Doctor, your movies in 10 pictures are among my favorite posts, Lawyer, your Beowulf review was spot on...but I do appreciate your reviews of Pee Wee Herman and Hell Date as well. Shoot even Ebert has to review crap sometimes.

Thanks for your website and Lawyer I'll be looking for that Van Halen review soon.

Doctor said...

First, that Theodore chipmunk is a real looker. Second, I try to shine light on movies others wouldn't normally see. Third, I think it's great Priest reviewed 27 Dresses. Had he given it B or greater, it would be in by rental queue. Fourth, thanks for posting - sarcasm doesn't print/read well at all. Fifth, looking forward to the Van Halen review, too - was it Roth or Hagar?

ch said...

God I hope it's Roth.

Thanks Dr. I find you guys more dependable than anything Rotten Tomatoes has to offer...and I mean that in the best way.