Thursday, December 31, 2009

Recent Rental Reviews

1. The Cove - B+. This recently released documentary exposes the unnecessary and inhumane slaughter of thousands of dolphins in Taiji, Japan. The film follows Flipper's original trainer as he tries to stop the killing and the team he assembles to film the garish activity in a very secret cove. Efficient direction and a few good characters make the film interesting and engaging, even if I don't really equate dolphins to humans like the filmmakers do. I especially loved the portrayal of Japan's politicking at the IWC (International Whaling Commission).

Click below for 4 more mini-reviews:

2. Road to Perdition. A. Finally, right? This contemplative story of fathers, sons and sins is right up my alley. Mendes' direction and Hanks/Newman deliver on a film with only tiny flaws.

3. Love Actually. B+. Already stated here, but this is one of my favorite Christmas films. Most of the storylines work great, with unique setups and satisfying conclusions.

4. Inglourious Basterds. A-. Holds up on a second viewing, especially Pitt and Waltz.

5. The Hangover. B+. Also holds up. Favorite part is Ed Helms and I now appreciate Galifikanakis more.

3 comments:

Doctor said...

The Cove should be in my mailbox sometime this week. Love Road to Perdition - favorite moment is probably Hanks talking about why he treated his 2 sons differently. Interesting choice by Mendes to make the last part completely white after spending the majority of the film in the dark.

Glad to hear about IB and Hangover - they seem like they wouldn't hold up, especially Hangover.

I've only seen Love Actually once and didn't like most of the segments. I suppose I'll try it again if I run across it on cable.

Doctor said...

Of all the activist documentaries I've seen, The Cove is the best, successfully pointing out goals and how they get there. It creates a surprising amount of tension and has absolutely shocking, horrifying footage. I liked the undercover mission - people pulling together - aspect of it. Sort of reminded me of Man on Wire in that respect. In fact, best doc since Man on Wire. B+

Dolphins' brain size per body weight is pretty high. Interesting that some felt they were self-aware. I've heard more than one of those dolphins save human stories. But not quite equal to humans (Well, most humans.)

Lawyer said...

Cove reminded me of Man on Wire while I was watching as well. I liked the Cove more since the action was real instead of simulated.