Sunday, September 21, 2008

Saturday Night Live – James Franco 9/20/08

If you checked out during the “Cougar Den” sketch, I don’t blame you, but you did miss some humorous moments. Click below for the rest.

The opener had Darrell Hammond playing John McCain recording anti-Obama political advertisements. It was based on an idea by former SNL writer and current Minnesota Democrat Senate candidate Al Franken. Is NBC still pretending they’re unbiased?

Franco’s monologue about being a Columbia student was OK, but it doesn’t help that super-bland Jason Sudeikis showed up (in this and in most skits throughout the show). Next up, were the Cougars, which kind of worked with Ashton Kutcher last year since he is a Cougar-victim and Cougar-survivor. It didn’t work here and neither did Cameron Diaz.


Next was Franco as Agent 420, a send up of his Pineapple Express character. The obvious jokes were done well by Franco. Then, there was a skit where lawyers tried to seat a jury for OJ Simpson. The jurors were funny, but am I the only one that feels Andy Samberg should be banned from the sketches? Where would Lorne Michaels go, though? Casey Wilson? Bobby Moynihan? I don’t think so.

The digital short featured Franco in a dramatic role with a small phallic punchline. These jokes rarely work – let alone 4 times. Kristen Wiig’s reaction to him was great, though. Fred Armisen either hits a home run or strikes out. His impression of Penny Marshall was great, but his bits on Weekend Update are always terrible. Update hosts Seth Myers and Amy Poehler sure like the jokes they write, don’t they? Try to keep it dead-pan like Chevy Chase or Dennis Miller, please. You’re not as funny as you think.

What is funny is when the cast uses self-deprecation. It works for almost everyone. It’s also funny when SNL goes after a New York institution like the New York Times. The skit about 50 out-of-touch NY Times reporters being sent to Alaska to dig up dirt on Sarah Palin was the best of the show. Topical and pitch-perfect. The “Lost Ending” of Of Mice and Men came out of nowhere, though. The last film of Steinbeck’s novel was released in 1992. Seriously? Immediately following that was a faux-commercial where Armisen struck gold (again) as Martin Scorsese – and Poehler is a great Rosie Perez.
Last was Franco meeting Willem Dafoe. Bill Hader is a first-rate impressionist but this one felt like it was filling space. And Samberg is lame when the words "SNL Digital Short" don't precede him.
I withhold judgment on Kings of Leon. I certainly don’t “get” it. Probably never will. Don’t mind that I don’t. Overall – B-

4 comments:

Lawyer said...

I didn't think this was very funny either. Two episodes, Zero Obama jokes. He's such an easy target with his urbane, cool guy persona...if only they will sack up and nail him on it. Franco was pretty funny. I like Sudeikis and Armisen can be hit or miss.

I also enjoyed the NYTimes sendup, which was dead on. Still disappointing though.

Anonymous said...

I almost always love Armisen. And I like Franco a lot now after his online videos about his mom and their cat, so I enjoyed him. I also need some Magruder. I thought the 420 sketch was terrible, I can't get into pot humor.

And Weekend Update is suffering BIG TIME. I giggle about once during the whole thing, and its a joke I know Tina suggested to Amy over dinner in the week before the show. I could use less snobiness, more genuine satire.

Lydia Netzer said...

I have this terrible need to re-watch that last sketch. I cannot find it anywhere online -- any ideas?

Polilla said...

So cute, but ... Insomniac James Franco