Saturday, September 6, 2008

Favorite Scenes - Se7en

Detective William Somerset: You know this isn’t going to have a happy ending.
Detective David Mills: Hey, man, if we catch him, I’ll be happy enough.


WS: If we catch John Doe and he turns out to be the devil, I mean, if he’s Satan himself, that might live up to our expectations, but he’s not the devil. He’s just a man.

DM: You know, see, you bitch, and you complain, and you tell me these things. If you think you’re preparing me for hard times, thank you, but . . .

WS: But, you’ve got to be a hero. You want to be a champion. Well, let me tell you something, people don’t want a champion. They want to eat cheeseburgers, play the lotto, and watch television.
DM: Hey, how’d you get like this? I want to know.

WS: (sighs) It wasn’t one thing, I can tell you that.

DM: Go on.

WS: I just don’t think I can continue to live in a place that embraces and nurtures apathy as if it was a virtue.

DM: You’re no different. You’re no better.

WS: I didn’t say I was different or better. I’m not. Hell, I sympathize. I sympathize completely. Apathy is a solution. I mean, it’s easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It’s easier to steal what you want than it is to earn it. It’s easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs. It takes effort and work.
DM: We are talking about people who are mentally ill. We are talking about people who are f@cking crazies.

WS: No, we’re talking about every day life here. You can’t afford to be this naïve.

DM: F@ck off. See, you should listen to yourself. You say that the problem with people is that they don’t care. So, I don’t care about people. That makes no sense. You know why?

WS: You care.

DM: Damn right.

WS: And you’re going to make a difference.

DM: Whatever. The point is, is I don’t think you’re quitting because you believe these things you say. I don’t. I think you want to believe them - because you’re quitting. You want me to agree with you and say, “Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re right. It’s all f@cked up. It’s a f@ckin’ mess. We should all go live in a f@ckin’ log cabin.” But I won’t. I won’t say that. I don’t agree with you. I do not. (pause) I can’t. (takes drink) I’m gonna go home. Thank you, though.

1 comment:

Lawyer said...

Nice. That scene and the sentiments it expresses only get better as I get older (and more apathetic).