Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Miami Vice (2006) - A-

Miami Vice has been ubiquitous on the cable movie stations and after watching parts of it 4-5 times during the last month, I decided it was time to analyze just what is going on. I saw this film opening day in July 2006 during the afternoon in a bad theater on a dusty screen. I’ll admit that I yawned and felt the middle dragged (specifically, the Gong Li-Colin Farrell love story). I felt the bad guys were ho-hum and wondered why Mann chose 2 unknown Hispanic bad guys when he used none other than Javier Bardem terrifically in his previous film Collateral. The overall feeling was overly serious with absolutely zero laughs.Click below for more of the underrated Miami Vice.

But I knew that I had seen something special and the film landed near the bottom of my top ten list of 2006. I loved the action scenes and thought the acting was great. I liked the structure of the film, beginning on another case and then suddenly switching to the actual story. There were tangents taken and the ending left some nice loose ends. The high-definition video allowed for interesting angles and lighting. The problem, I think, that most detractors had, was that it wasn’t remotely like the television show. The names were the same, but the tone and style were remarkably different. No pastels, no jokes, no alligator, and no houseboat. After many (many!) recent films based on old TV shows that were over-the-top jokey with predictable cameos and as thin as a runway model, Mann probably went too far the other way. If you called it something other than “Miami Vice”, it probably would not have been as lambasted by a paying public that felt hoodwinked.

Sure it’s a little too violent and the villains have too little charisma (especially compared to Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell). Farrell gives his best performance to date and his relationship with Gong Li grows stronger with every viewing. The casting of Gong Li was very risky, with the end result being mixed. Li doesn’t know English, so her lines were pronounced phonetically, leading to an unfortunate, difficult accent, but with the mute button on (necessary with small kids sometimes), she projects soul and loss and longing better than any actress around. As always, Mann’s choice in music is first-rate, providing strong emotions. This is a realistic, tough film for adults, who have been in one or two tough relationships. A brilliant update of the TV show, Mann’s growth as a director as well as his developed interests aren’t obvious on first glance, but very rewarding once you find them. A-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review. Gong Li was hot and wasted on Farrell.

Lawyer said...

Good revisit. I join you in the A-. I bought the love story and loved the visceral final battle sceen. Good all around.

Priest said...

Vice made my honorable mention list for '06. I really liked it then and have been meaning to sit down with it again. As noted by you and Lawyer, the battle scenes, especially the filming in the last one, were terrific. I also really loved the Farrell/Li story. I wasn't allowed to watch the original story growing up, which probably allowed me to enjoy it without comparing it to other work. Nice review and a nice reminder.

Doctor said...

The final battle scene is superb, but my favorite scene is when they rescue Trudi in the trailer. Foxx kicks that knife-wielding 11 year old's ass!

The film is loosely based on the Season 1 episode, Smuggler's Blues, with Trudi's rescue the most similar scene. Smuggler's Blues is available on hulu.com. It's an above average episode, most interesting as a companion piece to the film. I wish I knew more about the TV series to recommend one or two of the great episodes.

Lawyer said...

I am probably taking this to a full A. The supporting cast in the film is shockingly great. Eddie Marsan (Happy Go Lucky) kills as the high strung connection to Jose Yero, with awesome work from Ciarin Hinds (Munich, There Will Be Blood), John Hawkes (Winter's Bone), and Justin Theroux (Mulholland Drive, Parks & Rec, and writer of several films). I also love the Arcangel de Jesus Montoya, played by Luis Tosar - his menacing stare and beard are great "my best wishes to your families". I more than buy the Li/Farrell love story and can't get enough of those Audioslave songs (Wide Awake and Shape of Things to Come).