Friday, September 5, 2008

Rushmore - 10 years later

The Houston Chronicle has a retrospective article and an interesting series of pictures locating some of the scenes from the film (filmed in Houston in and around St. John's Academy) here.

Click below for the story of my encounter with Wes Anderson during the Rushmore publicity tour in the Fall of 1998:

The first time I met Wes Anderson was in a parking lot about 2 blocks off of the Drag in Austin. He and Jason Schwartzman were on a nationwide bus tour to promote Anderson's second film, Rushmore (Anderson only flies when absolutely necessary), so I hustled over there after class. Since Bottle Rocket wasn't well known at the time, I got to spend quite a bit of time talking to him about Bottle Rocket (mostly about locations - he told me he made several changes to the 'hideout' hotel in Hillsboro, such as the numbers on the doors and the sign by the road) and Rushmore. I met Schwartzman also, but was much less impressed with him than he was with himself. Later that night I attended a screening of the film at the Regal Cinemas 16 at the Arboretum in Austin. I talked with Wes more and picked up several handouts, including a cassette with songs from the movie. I also got Doctor a Wes autograph as well as one for myself on my VHS copy of Bottle Rocket.

The weirdest part about the evening was getting popcorn and noticing Talia Shire, Schwartzman's mom (sister of Francis Ford Coppolla, Adrienne from Rocky and Connie from the Godfather). No one noticed her and she was just standing to the side, so I went up and talked for awhile, she was very excited to be attending her son's first film. After the well received screening I brushed past Governor Ann Richards heading into a movie with a buddy with no fanfare. All in all a (apparently) memorable night in Austin. Not many of those during law school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being forced to sit through "Princess Mononoke" was pretty memorable for me. And not in a good way.

Doctor said...

Caught this on cable the past week. It still holds up. Dennis the Menace saying "hand-jobs" is priceless.