Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Favorite Scenes: There Will Be Blood

Daniel Plainview: I worked for Geological Survey and went to Kansas. I couldn’t stay there. I just couldn’t. I don’t like to explain myself. Are you an angry man, Henry?
Henry: About what?
Plainview: Are you envious? Do you get envious?

Henry: I don't think so. No.

Plainview: I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Henry: That part of me is gone. Working and not succeeding- all my failures has left me . . . I just don't . . . care.

Plainview: Well, if it's in me, it's in you. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that I can get away from everyone.

Henry: What will you do about your boy?
Plainview: I don't know. Maybe it’ll change. Does your sound come back to you? I don't know. Maybe no one knows that. A doctor might not know that.
Henry: Where is his mother?

Plainview: I don't want to talk about those things. I see the worst in people, Henry. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built up my hatreds over the years, little by little. Having you here gives me a second breath. I can't keep doing this on my own with these . . . people.

(Plainview laughs)

No comments: