Wednesday, November 19, 2008

AFI Dallas Presents - The Wrestler

Tonight I was all ready to take in a screening of Director Darren Aronofsky's The Wrestler, starring Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei. I'd be willing to take a beating to watch the film this early, let alone the opportunity to participate in tonight's Q and A session with Aronofsky himself. Too bad I called the AFI offices this morning to get an idea of how early I needed to show up for the 8:00 screening to get a seat. Click below for more of my bitterness.

I had planned on 6:45pm, but the guy on the line said that an hour or 45 minutes would be plenty early. I adjusted accordingly and showed up at the Dallas Angelika right at 7:15, only to end up about 500 back in line, which turned out to be about 100 too far back. AFI doesn't offer any membership to Dallas area folks, and has control of the entity called the Dallas Film Society, although no one can be a member. They should offer a membership to allow for better access to these screenings starting at $500 annually and working their way up - as it stands, only college kids with nothing to do can wait in line for shows like this.

P.S. - Thanks Gordon Keith for big-timing everyone and walking in around 7:50 to take one of the seats.

3 comments:

Priest said...

this is a bummer. i was really looking forward to reading this review. sorry about that.

Lawyer said...

I am done pouting....I have a reserved seat to a Benjamin Button screening early next week.

Doctor said...

Aronofsky is overrated, although knocking up Rachel Weisz is nothing to scoff at. Love Mickey Rourke, though. I don't know who Gordon Keith is but Keith Gordon is pretty good in Dressed to Kill.