Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Best Christmas Movies

Okay, a generic 'Christmas post.' These are ranked in order of fondness to my heart and importance to my enjoyment of the season, not necessarily their cinematic merit.

1. Christmas Vacation - Nothing better than a defeated Chevy Chase. The only weak spot is the sequence with the home movies in the attic. Favorite scenes: Eddie walking with Clark in Wal-Mart, while Eddie loads the cart; "sh-tter was full"; lights failure.

2. Its a Wonderful Life - Some malign this one for being overdone, but I still love the Bailey Building and Loan. Favorite scenes: Zuzu's Petals; Clarence in the bar; George calling on Mary; Auld Lang Syne.

3. A Christmas Story - One of the best narratives of what its like to be a kid. Its summer vacation companion, Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss, is another perfect movie. Favorite scenes: tongue on pole; cussing on side of the road; "fa ra ra ra ra".

4. Love Actually - A late entry, but now a required view each season for me. I don't like all the storylines, but the Hugh Grant and goofy but lucky Englishman in America are my favorite.

5. Ernest Saves Christmas - I am a big Ernest fan, and I'm not ashamed of it. This one hits all the right themes and makes me laugh too. Favorite scenes: the M/V dispute; "air brakes"; cab narrative by Ernest.

6. Home Alone - Perfect storytelling that puts me in the mood for Christmas with all its lights and togetherness. Too violent, though.

7. Bad Santa - Not exactly family friendly, but still has a redemptive ending and offers a different angle on the mall Santa. Favorite scenes: Bernie Mac eating oranges; fights between the elf and Billy Bob; returning the teddy bear.

8 comments:

Lawyer said...

I think About a Boy also qualifies, I just didn't see it as a "Christmas" movie.

Anonymous said...

is that an addendum to your own post?
the fact you have neither holiday inn or white christmas on your list breaks my heart. or miracle on 34th street. i turned bad santa off halfway through. the santa was just too bad.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Doctor said...

Die Hard is my favorite. Meet Me in St. Louis should be mentioned. And Scrooged.

Anonymous said...

"Have Yourself a Marry Little Christmas" from St. Louis is my favorite Christmas song performed in any film. That scene is greatness, with Judy Garland's character's little sister knocking over snowmen and saying that she doesn't want to move. Thanks for the reminder.

Doctor said...

Also love The Trolley Song, although that's more 7/4 than 12/25.

Lawyer said...

I think you guys misread my title. Its not "Campiest" Christmas Movies.

Cocaine Princess said...

I love Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation. I saw it after a friend recommended it to me. It's a total laugh-riot. Cousin Eddie is so funny- got to love his blue polyester pant suit he wear during Christmas Eve dinner.
XOXOXOXO,
Cocaine Princess