Saturday, December 8, 2007

20 Best of 2007***

The next 2 weeks will see the release of almost every '10 best' list, so, even though I haven't seen all that I need to, I am putting up an early version.

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
3. Michael Clayton
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. Once
6. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
7. Knocked Up
8. The Bourne Ultimatum
9. King of Kong
10. I'm Not There
11. Zodiac
12. Gone Baby Gone
13. American Gangster
14. Lars and the Real Girl
15. Rescue Dawn
16. Away From Her
17. Sicko
18. Things We Lost in the Fire
19. Eastern Promises
20. Sunshine (tie)
20. Into the Wild

***I have yet to see these films, which will likely impact the list: There Will Be Blood, Atonement, Margot at the Wedding, The Savages, Juno, Persepolis, The Golden Compass, Revolver, The Walker, The Kite Runner, Walk Hard, Charlie Wilson's War, Sweeney Todd, Bucket List, The Mist, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Control, My Kid Could Paint That, Four Months, Three Weeks & 2 Days and The Great Debaters.

7 comments:

Doctor said...

Did you forget Rescue Dawn?

I haven't seen There Will Be Blood, Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead, Michael Clayton, Once, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I’m Not There, Gone Baby Gone, Into the Wild, Atonement, Juno, and The Kite Runner - any or all of which could shake up my current Top 12:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Zodiac
3. 3:10 to Yuma
4. Knocked Up
5. Hot Fuzz
6. American Gangster
7. Death Proof
8. Superbad
9. The Lookout
10. Eastern Promises
11. Rescue Dawn
12. Breach

Lawyer said...

Yes, I had it but then didn't add it back in when I was finalizing, its added now. I have moved it to a B+, which explains the positioning.

We differ most on Hot Fuzz, which I didn't enjoy at all. I need to see Death Proof and The Lookout. Zodiac might move up after I get to watch the directors cut in January. I am surprised you didn't put Bourne on the list.

Doctor said...

I suppose Bourne could make it if Netflix sends it to me on Tuesday. Everyone seems to think it's a pretty good action movie. The first 2 installments weren't favorites of mine. I don't know if they were too political or it was an anti-Damon bias.

W/R/T Hot Fuzz, it's a complete fan-boy movie right up my alley, stacked to the hilt in British cinema history, first-rate parody, and admittedly overly clever dialogue and plot. It was one of 5 movies this year I could have watched again right away. The other 4 are above it. I wouldn't be surprised if those 11+ movies I haven't seen push it off the final list.

Lawyer said...

I need to swap 3:10 and Once. Also, Juno is #16, bumping Away from her etc down one.

Lawyer said...

A Might Heart goes under Sicko.

Lawyer said...

Charlie Wilson's War goes at number 8.

Lawyer said...

Atonement goes under Rescue Dawn.