Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Guns 'n Roses New Song Prompts Musings


Apparently Axl and company are (finally) dropping new song "Shackler's Revenge" via the admittedly genius platform of the new Rock Band (article here). Granted it's been twenty years, but no band rocked harder than these guys back when rocking was all that mattered to me. Which got me thinking, what are their top five songs? For my money they're:

5. Mister Brownstone (for my stoner buddy Ben)
4. Don't Cry (either version works for me)
3. Welcome to the Jungle
2. Civil War
1. Sweet Child O' Mine (the most distinctive riff of their era)

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention their cover of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door". When you take a Dylan song covered by Clapton and record the definitive version, well that's saying something. What are your G 'n R fav's?

5 comments:

Doctor said...

Well, obviously I'll object to this "definitive version" crap. Take the soul out of Dylan's version and replace it with Axel's screeching. I do like G'nR though. Patience and November Rain showed me they actually had musical ability that so many of their contemporary Zeppelin knock-offs lacked.

Lawyer said...

1. Sweet Child O' Mine
2. Paradise City
3. Patience
4. November Rain
5. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
6. Civil War
7. November Rain

I'll give definitive to Dylan, but GNR's version is great. Calling GNR a LZ knock-off is a crime. They're the best of their era and I'll take Axl's screeching over the Tall Cool One any day. Fight!

Priest said...

i'll admit that definitive might be too strong. might. but for a band that has a way of making covers their own (live and let die, sympathy for the devil), this is their greatest cover. you don't need to wait until patience to hear the talent. it's all there on welcome to the jungle, paradise city, and child.

also, i didn't mention "pretty tied up" but that's a rockin' song.

Doctor said...

There were alot of bands doing innovative and interesting things in the 80s: U2, The Police, REM, etc. Guns N' Roses was not one of them. But they are a great band, the best of Zeppelin's disciples. They're like Simon Peter.

Pretty Tied Up has some pretty disturbing lyrics.

Anonymous said...

I will never forgive Axl's winded performance of "Welcome to the Jungle" at the MTV awards a few years back.