Monday, April 5, 2010

The September Issue - B+

On DVD (2009). Rated PG, 88 minutes. Trailer.

As someone who thinks 99% of fashion is a joke and hated The Devil Wears Prada, I find myself oddly fascinated with Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue and "High Priestess" of the fashion world. In The September Issue, respected documentarian R.J. Cutler gives us a portrait of Ms. Wintour and the others at Vogue that help put the magazine together, especially the September issue, which is the "fashion bible" that kicks off the fashion season. Click below for more on TSI:

Wintour is a fascinating character, brimming with self-loathing despite the adulation she receives. Cutler does a good job of providing context and opening the film up to the non-fashion types with the questions and contextual shots and scenes. I thought Grace Covington, Vogue's senior art director, stole the movie. She is a fascinating character with a great visual eye and an unflinching personality with a storied past. Her collaboration and battles with Anna are interesting and revealing.

The piece about Wintour's father and scenes with her daughter are really interesting and give the film a substance I was not expecting.

Worth your time. I really enjoyed this one.

1 comment:

Doctor said...

I watched it on Netflix Instant Viewing this morning. I enjoyed it too (flat B). Interviews with her siblings would have been interesting since she thought they found her job amusing. I also enjoyed Thakoon and every time she threw out a rare compliment.