Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Year 2000 Revisited

American Psycho

Given Christian Bale’s recent success, I though I should give American Psycho another look. I liked it on first viewing (almost 9 years ago), but found it too gory and strange to be taken seriously. I must have less literal eyes now since it balanced the absurdity and social commentary perfectly this time around. Bale’s performance is a little mannered, but it works in a crazy sort of way. It’s very well written and directed. I love the use of pop music (especially personal guilty favorites Huey Lewis and Phil Collins) and the ambiguousness of the ending is perfect. I also love the interchangeability of Bateman and his colleagues (Josh Lucas, Jared Leto, and Justin Theroux). And there are a couple great shots of the Twin Towers- A-

Onward.

Billy Elliot

After Stephen Daldry received his third Best Director Oscar nomination last winter for The Reader, I decided to give his first feature, Billy Elliot, another chance when I ran across it on cable. I found his framing of the scenes and blocking of the actors impressive. The first time I saw the film (over 8 years ago), I liked it but dismissed it as overly sentimental. Now, viewing it through a father’s eyes for the first time, the story of a boy reaching his full potential and the sacrifices a parent (in this case, a father) makes hit me like a ton of bricks. Great films can be seen in different ways at different stages of your life. The film forces itself a little too much with the striking worker stuff, but the acting is great (especially by a tough Julie Walters). Who knows? Maybe The Hours and The Reader will relevant in 8 years. A-


Updated Best Films of 2000 List:

1. Traffic
2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
3. Erin Brockovich
4. Almost Famous
5. You Can Count On Me
6. Cast Away
7. Billy Elliot
8. American Psycho
9. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
10. Gladiator
11. State and Main
12. Pollock

2 comments:

stageoflife said...

Hey guys,

I came across you blog today. I enjoyed it. It was your mention about watching movies in different stages of life that triggered my interest.

I'm actually looking for people to share their wisdom, thoughts, experiences or observations about life, media and entertainment through the "stage of life" point of view.

I think people could benefit from your thoughts.

You are welcome to share some of your insights on our site at any time.

Great blog by the way - thanks for sharing!

Eric
CEO/Founder
Stage of Life.com

Lawyer said...

I loved AP at the time and watched it a couple of years ago and was still on the same page. I like its comments on apathy and exploitation.

I've never seen BE, but as I sacrificing parent it sounds like now's the time.