Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Movie Releases - 7/1/09

Public Enemies

My most anticipated 2009 film until the fall. Michael Mann uses a digital camera to document the fascinating life of John Dillinger (Johnny Depp) whose crime spree in 1933-34 gripped the nation. Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, and Billy Crudup costar. Reviews are generally positive, but don't really matter - Mann’s films always win the war by aging well.



Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

It’s the 3rd film in the Ice Age series which is apparently hell-bent on confusing kids about geology, zoology, and history. The first 2 were forgettable (literally – I think I saw them, but I don’t remember). Ray Romano, Denis Leary, and John Leguizamo voice the same characters. And I guess we all knew it was a matter of time before Simon Pegg cashed a cartoon voice paycheck.

I Hate Valentine's Day

Just in time for the 4th of July, Nia Vardalos and John Corbett team up again for a romantic “comedy” about Valentine's Day. The title lends itself to the easy joke. This will remain sight unseen – forever. As if the recession and My Life in Ruins wasn’t enough to deal with in 2009, now we get this. Vardalos writes and directs this one, though, so do with that what you will. Thankfully, it's in limited release.

No comments: