Thursday, May 28, 2009

Terminator Salvation - B-

In theaters. Rated R, 114 minutes. Trailer.

First things first - I have never seen any Terminator movies. Parts of 1 and 2, but not the whole thing by any means, so my review will probably needed to be supplemented or superseded by Doctor to get perspective on its place within the series. This most recent installment stars Christian Bale as hero John Connor, a human survivor fighting super-machines in 2018 to control the earth. He works with and against Marcus Curry (Sam Worthington) to try and fight the machines and save Connor's father, the teenaged Kyle Reese (teenaged because of time travel). Click below for more on a pretty good action film.

The film begins with a death row conversation between condemned killer Curry and weird scientist Helena Bonham Carter about him donating his body to her research. He gives in and then director McG gives us the umpteenth film execution scene. We are then catapulted to Connor and crew raiding a Skynet (the bad guys) military installation wherein Connor establishes how great he is and his status as the unofficial leader of the resistance is established. He needs to save his father, Kyle Reese, but can't find him and he is at odds with the official command of the resistance. Then we join Curry as he is resurrected without knowledge of how he got there, but with memory of his bad past. He walks to LA and finds and joins up with Reese and a mute black girl that looks like the lost Jackson child. They get captured after a while and then Connor and the resistance find and return Reese.

I was thoroughly entertained throughout the film, with several really cool action sequences and fights. McG doesn't over-stylize the film, which is probably due to the considerable influence of Bale in the development of the story and in the editing room. There is a small twist in the film that most people over 100 IQ will get immediately, so only read on if your under 100 or don't think you will pick up on the surprise.

Curry is the new "T-800" super terminator that feels and looks entirely human. In that regard, the film revisits all of the themes of good, evil, humanity, etc that are dealt with (much better) in Blade Runner. I liked some of the themes of redemption and picked up on a few immigration and other racial themes that were interesting. All in all, the film is satisfying but not as good as I wanted it to be. As with most sci-fi movies, the plot and ridiculous circumstances are ridiculous enough to ruin the movie, but there was enough onscreen to keep my interest anyway. Worhtington was excellent, and Bale workmanlike if uninteresting.

Super Random Note: Did Michael Vick really do anything criminally wrong? Are dogs people? Is there a difference morally between a dog and an ant? I'm just saying...

3 comments:

Doctor said...

I was going to wait for video for this one. But you kinda forced my hand. I'll put it right behind Up and hope I get to it soon. Otherwise, it'll have to wait until at least mid-June.

I've already written about the first film (best film of 1984) on the blog. I've recently watched the second film which is almost as good (but gets preachy and contracts in the 2nd half when it should have expanded). I've only seen the 3rd film once and liked it, but I need to see it again.

And I know you're not a dog person, but jeez, there is definitely a difference between a dog and an insect. Vick killed some dogs and should have been punished. But I'll agree the "outrage" is disingenuous. People seem to care more about these dogs than people.

Did Arnold make an appearance in T4?

Lawyer said...

Arnold is in the film, sort of - no lines, but he fights Connor.

As to Vick - an ant is a bad example. What about a dolphin or a pig, both of which are generally acknowledged to be smarter than dogs? Many cultures eat dogs - criminals? Cockfighting is still legal in some states - hard to find a meaningful difference between the two animals. I don't like dogs, granted, but I also find dogfights sickening and cried (often) when Old Yeller got shot.

The sanctimony and outrage about it just struck me as ridiculous. I find people that drive drunk much more morally repugnant than Michael Vick - my family was never in danger as a result of his actions.

Doctor said...

Dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.