Friday, July 30, 2010

Tender Mercies - B+

On DVD (1983). Rated PG-13, 89 minutes. Trailer.

"I don't trust happiness. I never did, I never will." As a major fan of living legend Robert Duvall, I felt compelled to watch his Oscar winning performance in Tender Mercies. The film is like the grandfather of Crazy Heart. Duvall is Mack Sledge, a washed up country music singer that finds a place in the world at a filling station in Texas. After waking up from a 2 day drunk, he stays with a woman and her son to work off the price of the room and ends up staying a long time and marrying the woman. His past catches up with him when a reporter finds him and writes a story, igniting his interest in his long abandoned daughter (a very young Ellen Barkin) and his pained ex-wife. Click below for more on TM:


Duvall tentatively reaches back to his new world, but his interactions drive him to the brink of his sobriety and his new idyllic and simple life. He writes songs and slowly connects with his new son, only finding pain with his old life.

Written by Horton Foote, the film won Oscars for best screenplay and best actor. I should've watched it before Crazy Heart, its natural progeny. Duvall's understated and soulful performance is very good and different than his usual bombast or humor. He wears his character's years throughout the film and creates a truly resonant character.

4 comments:

Doctor said...

Been almost a decade since I've seen it. I should give it another look. I remember being respectfully underwhelmed (B). I just watched Network (again) yesterday and Duvall is classic in that.

Doctor said...

Nice tribute to Duvall on At the Movies this weekend. AO Scott rightfully celebrated The Apostle.

Lawyer said...

I had it at a B until I started thinking back on RD's performance and the baptism and gardening scenes.

Lawyer said...

I'm back on blockbuster by mail, so tomorrow night is Double Indemnity (second viewing - this time as a huge Wilder fan). I've never seen the Apostle - I've got it coming next.