Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer Movie Releases - 8/21/09

Inglourious Basterds

Quentin Tarantino's take on WWII mission movies is getting surprisingly good reviews, especially Christoph Waltz as a Nazi officer. Violent, talky, funny, tense, unforgettable - sounds like a Tarantino movie. Brad Pitt stars as the leader of a group of Jewish-Americans hunting Nazis.

Post Grad
It's depressing to see Michael Keaton, Jane Lynch, and Carol Burnett play second, third, and fourth fiddle to something called Alexis Bledel, who allegedly is on a TV show called "Gilmore Girls" and has allegedly starred in both parts of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Depressing.

Baader Meinhof Complex

In 1970s Germany, terrorists try to fight off the new fascists, American imperialists, of course. Bruno Ganz (Hitler in Downfall) shows up as a police chief sympathizing with the radicals. This Oscar-nominated film is said to be authentic and unpredictable. In limited release. I'm there.


Five Minutes of Heaven


In 1970s Ireland, IRA and Britain are in the midst of a civil war. Murders occur and sentences are served. 30 years later, people will meet up again and deal with their past. Liam Neeson stars and Oliver Hirschbiegel (Downfall) directs. In limited release. I'm there.



My One and Only

In 1953, Renee Zellweger leaves her philandering husband (Kevin Bacon) with their 2 kids and tries to find a new man. In limited release. I'm not there.

6 comments:

Lawyer said...

Headed to IB with Europpraiser in a few minutes...

Priest said...

watched this tonight. still trying to figure out what i'm going to give it. your thoughts, lawyer?

Doctor said...

You lucky basterds. I'm working all weekend and now Monday might be out because of car tire issues. I have a feeling I'm going to love it.

Lawyer said...

a-/b+....working through it. Pitt was awesome.

Priest said...

I think it's a B+ for me, but I want to see it again so badly, that my propel it. I didn't think Pitt would work, but he is hilarious and perfect throughout. the whole mike myers subplot goes nowhere (that i can see) and is the chief weakness of the film unless i'm just missing something.

Lawyer said...

Priest, saw 500 days tonight. Left a comment on your review.