Friday, August 14, 2009

Summer Movie Releases - 8/14/09


District 9

Alien refugees are forced to live in South Africa and tensions rise with the local humans. A heavy-handed deliberation on race relations? Maybe. But the visuals (from first-time director Neill Blomkamp and producer Peter Jackson) look excellent.


The Time Traveler’s Wife

Eric Bana suffers from a rare (I'll say!) genetic defect that forces him to travel through time. Rachel McAdams plays his love interest. Based on a best-selling book, this thing is dripping with estrogen. Bana gets the summer versatility award with this, Star Trek, and Funny People.

It Might Get Loud

3 guitar players (Jimmy Page, Edge, and Jack White) hang out, play guitar, and get interviewed in director Davis Guggenheim’s documentary. The tri-generational approach is interesting, looking for some commonality. Guggenheim got the Oscar last time out for An Inconvenient Truth.



The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
Jeremy Piven is hired to save a car dealership from bankruptcy. Ving Rhames and David Koechner go along for the ride. Looks somewhat funny, but the reviews are through the floor, making this a video rental – in 10 weeks or so.


Ponyo

Hand-drawn animation Japanese director Hayao Myazaki has never really worked for me. The animation is just not as great as the elitist critics insist. And the stories are always too strange for me to relate to. Don’t expect this to be any different. I didn’t bother with his last one (Howl’s Moving Castle), but found most of Princess Mononoke OK.




Bandslam

Teenage pop band rivalry where ex-boyfriends and girlfriends try to get even. For those of you who can’t wait for High School Musical 4. With Vanessa Hudgens and Lisa Kudrow.




Spread

Ashton Kutcher plays a high-end LA gigolo who meets his match when he meets his female counterpart (Margarita Levieva). Rated R for strong sexual content, nudity, language, and pervasive Kutcherian douchebaggery.

7 comments:

Lawyer said...

I saw Princess Mononoke with Bride in Austin about 10 years ago, and I still haven't heard the end of it. I am in for Time Traveler's Wife - its got Notebook written all over it.

Priest said...

not surprisingly i'm totally pumped about district 9. time traveler's wife is all yours, counselor, as is the notebook.

on another note, anyone seen The Room?

Doctor said...

I'm not sure what The Room is.

Counselor, are you now or have you ever been a member of the Rachel McAdams fan club?

Lawyer said...

I am not a member, but a certainly should be. I need to do a McAdams filmography post. Saw District 9 last night (odd choice for me, I know). B for me, probably much higher for a sci-fi fan.

Doctor said...

Red Eye is my favorite McAdams movie since I typically fast forward her parts of Wedding Crashers. Yes, The Notebook is solid, above average melodrama with great performances and chemistry from the 2 leads. There, I said it.

NYYanksGirl said...

So, I'll admit it...saw Bandslam this weekend. Not too shabby! It's funny to see Lisa Kudrow playing the role of a mom, but I think she pulled it off. This is definitely a great flick for pre-teen girls! I had two of them with me and they both thought it was "awesome". And I enjoyed seeing a teen flick without all of the crude jokes.

Doctor said...

Bandslam has been getting some good reviews, Yanksgirl.

Looking forward to some more info on District 9. I'm half tempted to squeeze it in this week.