Monday, August 25, 2008

5 Great Movie Monologues

“I don't know that we ever were that decent. Suffering thousands of years of hatred doesn't make you decent. But we're supposed to be righteous. That's a beautiful thing. That's Jewish. That's what I knew; that's what I was taught - and now I'm losing it. And if I lose that, that's everything. That's my soul.”

Munich (2005)
Mathieu Kassovitz as Robert
Screenplay by Tony Kushner and Eric Roth




“We both had done the math and Kelly added it all up and knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had lost her - 'cause I was never gonna get off that island. I was gonna die there, totally alone. I was gonna get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had; the only thing I could control was when, and how, and where that was going to happen. So, I made a rope and I went up to the summit to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course - you know me. And the weight of the log snapped the limb of the tree, so I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over nothing. That's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow, I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day that logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back- in Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass. And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?”

Cast Away (2000)
Tom Hanks as Chuck Noland
Screenplay by William Broyles, Jr.



“Hello, Penny? It’s Russell. Don’t hang up. I can’t really talk right now. I’m in a room full of people. Actually, I’m alone – and I won’t call again, I promise. But I need to see you face to face because I’m never as good as when you’re there and I can see myself the way you look at me. And I’m sorry. If we could just get together, find some time to talk. Let’s say all the things we never said. Give me your address. I’m coming to you – this time.”

Almost Famous (2000)
Billy Crudup as Russell Hammond
Screenplay by Cameron Crowe




“Yeah. Yeah, sexy, huh? How about this for a number? Six. That's how old my other daughter is. Eight is the age of my son. Two is how many times I've been married - and divorced. Sixteen is the number of dollars I have in my bank account. 850-3943 - that's my phone number, and with all the numbers I gave you, I'm guessing zero is the number of times you're gonna call it.”

Erin Brockovich (2000)
Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich
Screenplay by Susannah Grant



“I guess you must be kind of angry. I’m supposed to be gone, far away. I guess it seems sort of irresponsible, my being here. And I was gonna leave – honest, I was. But then I started thinking, if I stuck around, that would not be good for you. Then I started thinking that - that might not be bad for me. You didn’t see the play you gave me. I mean what am I gonna do? If I leave, I got nothing. No money, no friends, nothing. If I stay, I got you. Anyone finds out I’m alive, you’re dead, so, I got, I got you, Tommy. What’s the matter? You got nothing to crack wise about? Bernie ain’t so funny anymore? I guess I made kind of a fool of myself out there - bawling away like a twist. I guess, I guess I turned yellow. You didn’t tell anyone about that?”

Miller’s Crossing (1990)
John Turturro as Bernie Bernbaum
Screenplay by Joel and Ethan Coen

4 comments:

Priest said...

love, love, love that munich quote.

Lawyer said...

Castaway is one of the most underrated movies in recent memory, A-.

Doctor said...

I also considered this gem from Munich: "The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. But time and chance happens to us all. Evil falls suddenly. Who can say when it falls?" (paraphrasing Ecclesiastes 9:11)

Cast Away gets better every year, a great metaphor for anyone struggling to get through a rough patch in their life. Hanks nails the speech in a 3 1/2 minute uninterrupted take.

Lawyer said...

What about this Munich classic:
"The Twin Towers, oooh, ahhh."