Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tom Hooper wins DGA

My weapons-grade contempt for The King's Speech is completely unfair since I haven't seen the film yet. Since The Social Network had won every award for the past 3 months, I was reticent and cautiously optimistic. It looked like David Fincher would finally get his overdue Oscar, but it turns out he's the new Scorsese and will have to wait another 15 years. I plan to see The King's Speech this week, but unless it somehow tricks me, my review will probably end like this: "Well 70-80 million of people died in WWII, but at least that entitled, rich d- d- d- douche learned to t- t- t- talk."

My disdain for Harvey Weinstein is irrevocable given his inexplicable ability to get his mediocre films (The Reader, Chocolat) Oscar nominations and his OK films (Chicago, Shakespeare in Love) Oscar wins.

Mr. Hooper will win the Oscar over Fincher, the Coens, Darren Aronofsky, and David O. Russell. This looks eerily similar to 2001 when Ron Howard won over Ridley Scott, David Lynch, Robert Altman, and Peter Jackson. The frustrating thing is that after Crash won, the Oscars had actually gone to great directors - Martin Scorsese, the Coens, Danny Boyle, and Kathryn Bigelow. This year reverted to the 90s this year when a critical darling (like Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas or LA Confidential) ultimately loses in the last stage of the race.

No comments: