Friday, June 18, 2010

Traffic - A

On DVD (2000). Rated R, 140 minutes. Trailer.

Whoa. I went way too long between viewings on this classic from Director Steven Soderbergh and screenwriter Stephen Gaghan. Emotional, intelligent, visually interesting, and even hilarious, this film was much better than I remembered. Part of it is that I am now the father of daughters, so the Michael Douglas storyline is much more resonant now. Don't forget about this film. Great performances from about 20 actors and probably the best direction of Soderbergh's career.

1 comment:

Doctor said...

A for me as well (#14 of decade on recent series). Best film of 2000. Probably the best cast of the decade. The scenes with the daughter are rough, but serve as a precautionary tale - stay engaged, stay interested, work harder.

I almost mentioned this film while reviewing A Special Relationship - Dennis Quaid should just give up lead roles for supporting ones like Traffic, where he's so much better.