Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My 5 Favorite Bruce Springsteen Songs

All apologies to Doctor, but I have a love/hate relationship with the Boss. Dancing in the Dark makes me homicidal, while The River breaks my heart. Anyway, here are my 5 favorite Bruce Springsteen songs (in no particular order):

My Hometown. As someone with 4 generations of family that has lived in my part of Texas for nearly 50 years, I have a strong connection with this song. Best version is sung with Vedder, but I can't find a legal link.

Atlantic City. A haunting and visceral song. American songwriting at its best.

Glory Days. I know, I know, not a cool pick. But, I can't help but succumb to thinking about moments in my life as the Boss paints the pictures. Worst video of all time.

The River. Ditto my Atlantic City comments. "and for my 19th birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat".

Streets of Philadelphia. A moody, serious song with great music and lyrics.

4 comments:

Priest said...

I do love springsteen. listen to thunder road five times while reading the lyrics and it will be in your top five, guaranteed.

Doctor said...

Way back in November of last year on by Tunnel of Love post comments, I put Thunder Road, Brilliant Disguise, and Across the Border as his top 3 and not enough time has passed to really argue with those. For diversity and obscure reasons, I'll throw in Into the Fire, Bruce's memorializing of the firefighters who died on 9/11. Also, My Beautiful Reward and I Wanna Be with You, which compliment My Hometown and Glory Days, respectively.

I love The River, but need to listen to the whole album again soon. Atlantic City is terrific - depressing and melancholic - just like the entire Nebraska album.

But Thunder Road stands above all right now, it continues to open up and expand right through the end, barely repeating itself when it finally finds a chorus. And the lyrics - lawyer, seems like "waste your summer prayin' in vain for a saviour to rise from these strees" would be right up your alley.

Dentist said...

I'm with Priest and Doctor on Thunder Road, with my absolute favorite version being this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-hF_QrvfR0. Love the lyric "it's a town full of losers and we're pulling outta here to win."
Also, only found this recently, but I'm also loving Trapped, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPputk_PQ4U&feature=fvw a Jimmy Cliff cover. Another song with a great melody and lyric.

TaylorSwift said...

One of my long standing dreams was to attend Bruce Springsteen concerts live. . I know all the words of his songs by heart …well he is performing this year. Next weekend I’m going to visit my sister and we will attend his
Bruce
concert; someone recommended me Ticketsinventory.com to get cheap tix:

http://www.ticketsinventory.com/concert/bruce-springsteen-tickets/

So I'll be analyzing as well as enjoying the concert.