Wednesday, August 19, 2009

5 More Songs From My Pantheon

I have previously posted 5 songs that are in my 'pantheon', which is the general designation my all-time favorite songs get. Here are 5 more.

Wonderwall - Oasis. Love the melodies and wall of sound in the chorus. This song is college to me.

Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana - Pietro Mascagni. This piece, which plays over the opening credits of Raging Bull (linked to above) and the closing credits of Godfather 3 (go to 2:45 and watch - great montage of the Godfather series, one of the best parts of a mediocre film), will be played at my funeral. It is at once tragic and blissful.

Click below for the next 3.

Karma Police - Radiohead. Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself. The last 2 minutes of this song are like church for me. Not to get too over-dramatic, but to me the song highlights the human condition and the chorus (stated above) is an ironic statement on the tenuous grip we have on our lives and how we don't really have control. Prefer album version, but this live version is worth linking to.

Landslide - Fleetwood Mac. Beautiful music and poignant lyrics - it gets me every time. Speaks to my melancholy tendencies. Also enjoy Smashing Pumpkins version.

Ruby Tuesday - Rolling Stones. I've recently begun to appreciate this song for how great it really is (and all of the Stones' catalogue for that matter. You win, Doc). The song is perfect in 2 of my favorite films, The Royal Tennenbaums (original version, starts at 3:44) and Children of Men, performed by someone with a cool accent.

2 comments:

Priest said...

nice post. karma police is my favorite radiohead, not to mention the oddest sing-a-long i've ever participated in. ruby tuesday is great. the stones are the greatest of all time.

Doctor said...

Interesting what you wrote about Wonderwall. With all the Quentin love everywhere this week with the release of Inglourious Basterds, I had the same thought about Pulp Fiction (it being the defining college event for me).

Karma Police is incredible, a melodic, more conventional song that in no way feels like a sellout - a classic. There hasn't been a better song since its release.

Where the hell is the Dixie Chicks Landslide link? A song that good isn't even tarnished by that disgrace. I love Nicks's voice - finally a chick I don't mind listening to "ache", Priest.

I really need to see Tenenbaums again. I remember smiling huge when Ruby Tuesday came on the first time I saw it. Great atmosphere and vibe. (Also great was Me and Julio down by the school yard).

Yesterday, I heard Street Fighting Man on the way to see District 9 . . . and I j!##ed in my pants.