Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weekend links

Great short reviews here about some of the most overpraised films of the year. I agree with everything they said about Slumdog Millionaire. The inclusion of The Dark Knight seems to be aimed at the excessive box office and fan-boy praise the movie has received rather than a critique of the movie itself.

Recent article here about the Matt Damon character in The Departed. The film is based on Infernal Affairs, but screenwriter William Monahan also referenced real-life crooks like Whitey Bulger.

Here is an interesting analysis about what is wrong with the NFL playoffs. I'll be skipping the last 3 games.

Click below for a video of last Thursday's Hudson River plane crash, caught by a Coast Guard camera. The crash is at the 2 minute mark.

3 comments:

Lawyer said...

That list of the most overpraised films (the first link) is interesting, but I disagree mightily with a couple of them. First, Revolutionary Road is very affecting - its effectiveness may be lost on the unmarried, however.

Counterfeiters was interesting and did present a morality question I hadn't seen before.

Transsiberian was a really good, suspenseful film that is better than most.

Doctor said...

I liked Counterfeiters, too, and thought that write-up was unfair. The write-ups for Wanted and Slumdog were so on target that I had to link the article.

Now that my Netflix account is reactivated, a Transsiberian viewing is imminent (it's available on instant play). Naturally, the first film for me on instant play was Man on Wire (B+).

I like the Revolutionary Road trailer (saw it again before Benjamin Button yesterday). Button is at a B+, but I reserve the right to raise to A- on the next viewing. An A will be impossible unless a director's version cuts out the completely unnecessary Katrina framing device.

Hope to post sloppy second reviews of Wire and Button soon.

Lawyer said...

I can't wait to see how 30 minutes of a goofy frenchmen's description of hiding under a blanket hugging a guy = a B+.

Did the hummingbird make you tear up or throw up at the end of button?