Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tootsie - B (AFI 100 Series)

On DVD (1982). Rated PG, 116 minutes. Trailer.

After Doc's Sydney Pollack memorial post, I realized I had not seen Tootsie (#69 on the AFI Top 100 List). Directed by (and co-starring) Pollack and starring Dustin Hoffman, Bill Murray, Angela Lange, Terri Garr, Geena Davis and Dabney Coleman (the poor man's Burt Reynolds), this comedy tells the story of a talented but difficult actor that only finds success acting as a woman on a daytime soap opera. I liked it, but didn't love it and really hated the pointless 20 minute 'farm sequence'. Still there are several classic lines ("How do you feel about Cleveland?") and classic deadpan from Murray. Worst soundtrack ever though, with lots of synthesizer and overwrought lyrics.

2 comments:

Doctor said...

I almost warned you about the soundtrack which is, at best, dated, but works in context. How did the bride like the movie?

The farm sequence works for me since the emotions/relationships seem honest. Nice shot of cowgirl Dorothy.

Anonymous said...

The soundtrack absolutely drove me bonkers. I liked the Murray/Hoffman interaction a lot, they are both great characters as well. I bristle about the women as a victim issues, but I may have appreciated it more in the 80's.