Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Last Five I-Tunes Downloads

Con Te Partiro (4:11) – Andrea Bocelli – I’m not sure what version of this song I heard in a San Francisco Starbucks in April 2003, but I sat there stunned and felt like Red in Shawshank Redemption: not understanding the words, but having my soul soar nonetheless. I finally found it courtesy of the Will Ferrell movie Blades of Glory where it played over the opening credits. God does have a sense of humor after all. (For the record, I was presenting a poster on Baclofen Pumps and no, I didn’t visit the Castro District.)


Cinderella Man (4:48) – Thomas Newman – Arguably the greatest score of the current decade (I’ll entertain a few other nominees, including Eternal Sunshine and Fellowship of the Ring). It’s a movie that gets better with each viewing and destined to become a classic once it begins to play non-stop on TNT. The music already belongs in a time capsule.


The Captain of Her Heart (4:34) – Double – Somehow I missed this the first time around in 1986. I love the vocals and piano echoing each other and occasionally performing in unison. The saxophone enhances the relaxed jazzy feel. I guess this makes it official – I’m in my mid-30s.


She’s a Rainbow (4:35) – The Rolling Stones – An unusual song for the group which usually went rock and roll right down the middle. This one has strings, piano, and the mellotron. John Paul Jones arranged the strings. Try not to look at the name of the album, priest.



Voices
(5:35) – Russ Ballard – Pure 80s pop, most famous for opening the classic Miami Vice episode, “Calderone’s Return: Part 2.” The images of Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas on a boat flying into the air are still spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz8STGeV6jc

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

picked up the bocelli number. thanks for the heads up.