Monday, August 6, 2007

The History Boys - D

Try as I might, I’ll never be able to understand foreign cultures like the New York Theatre District. Recent Broadway successes brought to the big screen include Hairspray, The Producers, and Dreamgirls. I would probably lose several fingers under torture before agreeing to watch Hairspray. I have seen The Producers (2005) and as great as Uma looks, you’re much better off watching the near-perfect 1968 original. My distaste for Dreamgirls is mostly because of the uninspired music. Chicago gets a pass (B) because of its beautiful cynicism.

Which brings us to The History Boys. It wants to be Dead Poets Society set in 1983 London. Like that 1989 film, the students struggle to get into fancy colleges and become inspired by a new teacher. Unlike Robin Williams who inspires his students by showing them that there’s more to life than a career, this teacher degrades them in the hope of making them achieve more. One of the common criticisms for Dead Poets Society is how “white” it is, but what would you expect from a 1958 American Boarding School? At least the characters are well-developed and distinguishable. In The History Boys, the ethnicity is increased (black, Muslim, Italian), but the students all act exactly the same. In DPS, director Peter Weir places the camera in the perfect location scene after scene, but in The History Boys, the handheld camera wanders aimlessly and without purpose. And the literature references in DPS were beautifully woven into the story, but stick out like Dirk Diggler in History Boys.Which brings us back to the New York Theatre District. I don’t doubt that the much of the popularity of The History Boys on Broadway is due to its explicit and overt homosexuality. Teachers and students flirt with each other and use euphemisms that made my skin crawl. At least Dead Poets Society had the good sense to keep the homosexuality in the subtext. To me, Robert Sean Leonard’s acting and his father’s disapproval of it was a substitute – which would also help explain his drastic decision. Dead Poets Society: A- The History Boys: D

2 comments:

Lawyer said...

Agreed on the Hairspray viewing situation. I wouldn't see it even if it won best picture. Campy and gay and based on the theater generally means you won't see me there. I haven't seen the Producers, Hairspray, Dreamgirls or Chicago (and won't). Bill Condon is on my blacklist.

Good comparison to DPS, one of my alltime favorite movies. I had thought about adding this to the queue, but I think I'll pass, HARD.

Priest said...

nice insights on dps. i had never considered the lack of a female interest for leonard's character, when most of the boys are either in love or in lust with something. totally agree on producers (c). however great it was on broadway, it just didn't translate to the big screen. chicago got a b- from me as well, based largely on zellweiger's legs and the cynicism you mention. i haven't, nor will i see, hairspray or dreamgirls.