Saturday, July 14, 2007

Street Fight - B+


On DVD (2005). Rated PG, 82 minutes.

Street Fight is an Oscar nominated documentary about the 2002 Mayoral election in Newark, New Jersey. The race pitted two black democrats against eachother: the 16 year incumbent, Sharpe James, against the first term city council member, Cory Booker.

The 66 year old James is an old-time corrupt politician, while Booker is a 32 year old Yale educated lawyer. Their styles and campaigns couldn't be any different, and the conflict the election reveals is a picture of how the new generation of black leaders is being held back by the old generation. Ultimately the thuggish and corrupt tactics prevail and James wins re-election.

Those of you who know me will understand why I watched this one. For me the film was riveting, but I wasn't blown away. The filmmaker, Marshall Curry, has a fascinating and layered subject, but leaves some of the side stories and poignancy of the election out.

1 comment:

Doctor said...

I've put it in my queue. I remember this on the news. I almost mentioned this in the recent Altman post, but in terms of subject matter, you may prefer his TV series Tanner '88 starring Michael Murphy as a fictional democratic presidential candidate on the campaign trail. There's a follow-up to the series made in 2004 which I have yet to see.