Saturday, July 28, 2007

5 Country Songs I Will Admit To Liking


1. Islands in the Stream - Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. Say what you will, this is a great song. Dolly and Kenny are underrated singers and songwriters (although this is a Bee Gees classic), and this captures all of the cheesy romance of 1983 with style (not that it needed to be captured). A classic.



2. Take this Job and Shove It - Johnny Paycheck. No song sums up how I feel after filling out another TPS report or IT Feedback survey than this one. Favorite Line: "My woman done left, and took the reason that I been working for."



3. Big City - Merle Haggard. This is Merle's best and it is always song #1 on my list of songs to listen to on a road trip. It captures the best of 70's country and the sense that living in a big city sucks. Best verse: "Been working everyday since I was twenty. Haven't got a thing to show for anything I've done. There's folks who never work and they've got plenty. Think it's time some guys like me had some fun. Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana. And gimme all I got comin' to me, And keep your retirement and your so called social security. Big City turn me loose and set me free."

4. Family Tradition - Hank Williams, Jr. Old school country is so much better than what is out today, especially the wet rat, Kenny Chesney. I replace the vices in this song with all of my family's bad habits, and it makes it genius. Best verse: Lordy, I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam and they both tried to kill me in 1973 when that doctor asked me Son how did you get in this condition I said hey sawbones I'm just carryin on an old family tradition. So don't ask me Hank why do you drink? (Hank) why do you roll smoke? Why must you live out the songs you wrote? Stop and think it over Try and put yourself in my unique position If I get stoned and sing all night long It's a family tradition!

5. Always on My Mind - Willie Nelson. The red haired stranger has several classics, but none better than this. Tenderly explaining his infidelity and outlaw ways, I am sure this one drives his ex-wives crazy. Even the Pet Shop Boys version is decent. Runner Up: Whiskey River (no better live song).

1 comment:

Priest said...

an interesting list, to be sure. i do love big city and you were always on my mind. i'm a bit surprised by your singling out of some of the others (in particular "islands in the stream"). "poncho and lefty", "night life", and "my heroes have always been cowboys" are probably my favorite willie tunes (and the entire red-headed stranger cd). willie is my favorite living singer (since ol' blue eyes past), but i think it's more about the body of work and his interesting life than, necessarily, particular works.

worth mentioning that merle AND willie are touring together this summer. i'm going to try and catch them aug. 18 if you want to swing up and hear both songs :)