Monday, December 1, 2008

The Best So Far (and to come) of 2008

My forthcoming Milk (B+) and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (B+) reviews spell a weak year for film. That being said, we still have some good ones coming. My rankings so far, followed by the remaining good ones:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Rachel Getting Married
3. Slumdog Millionaire
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. Milk
6. Hancock
7. Priceless
8. In Bruges
9. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
10. Wall*E

Forthcoming (links go to their trailers): Che, Revolutionary Road, The Reader, The Wrestler, Frost/Nixon, Valkyrie, Doubt, and Gran Torino.

4 comments:

Priest said...

Hancock as high as 6 really surprises me. I'm holding out on a top 10, but number one right now is Wall*E, then Dark Knight.

Lawyer said...

Its a fluid list - but I like to get it out there before the big critics awards and lists come out (which will be next week). I still haven't sorted out my TCBB feelings . Hancock may drop, but WallE won't rise, I can tell you that.

Anonymous said...

No Transsiberian? Loved it.

Doctor said...

It seems I have more holes in my movie list than usual this time of year. A quick look of new releases shows only Milk playing in the Houston area. Can you hear me saying, "One for Milk."? It'll be the same day I say, "One for Twilight."

Anyway, here's the films that I've seen this year that I look forward to watching again, in order of preference.

1. Dark Knight
2. Tropic Thunder
3. Wall-E
4. The Bank Job
5. In Bruges
6. Redbelt
7. Burn After Reading

BTW, haven't seen your 2, 3, 4, 5, or 7. Only 3 and 4 look like they have a good shot of landing in my top 10, but who knows? Given one of my obsessions, I'll probably blind buy Man on Wire next week.