Sunday, October 21, 2007

Radiohead - In Rainbows - B+

Released 10/10/07.

On at least one level, the Radiohead scheme to give their new album In Rainbows away for free is working. I doubt I would've gone to the trouble of buying it, but since it was free I got it and haven't taken it out of my car since.

Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, but their descent (or ascent, depending on your perspective) into inaccessible art rock over their last several albums has left me disenchanted with the band. In Rainbows is a return to listenable music...as I said to my beloved the other day "The new Radiohead is pretty good; it actually sounds like music." Given the angelic and penetrating voice of Thom Yorke and the brilliance of Jonny Greenwood on guitar/instruments/banana peels, etc, its hard for them to make a bad song.

In Rainbows is a moody, slow album with several standout songs. The best song is #5, "All I Need." It has a slow instrumental beginning, which sounds a little like Springsteen's "Streets of Philadelphia." "Reckoner" and "House of Cards" are the 2 other standouts. Each other song is a good listen, and Greenwood sounds and instrumentation stays in your head after you stop listening. Not bad for 0.55 Euros. To buy it for free + the .55 Euro surcharge, go here.

1 comment:

Priest said...

a b+ for me as well. this is the first album by them i've enjoyed since the colossal OK Computer (A+). beyond the high points you mention, i really enjoy bodysnatchers and jigsaws falling into place.