Thursday, July 12, 2007

5 From Bob Dylan


Subterranean Homesick Blues – As fast and furious as any song since. An artist breaking through the conventions of song and storytelling. Eminem, eat your motherf%#*in’ heart out.

Favorite lyrics: Better jump down a manhole/Light yourself a candle/Don't wear sandals/Try to avoid scandals




Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright – A perfect early song about a young relationship break-up.

Favorite Lyrics: I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind/You could have done better but I don't mind/You just kinda wasted my precious time/But don't think twice, it's all right





Visions of Johanna – Lost love this obsessive and depressing has never been this beautiful. Replace “Johanna” with anyone or anything and you’ve got a timeless message.

Favorite Lyrics: The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face/Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place






Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn) – For those who think Dylan never had any pop sensibility, I point to this one.

Favorite Lyrics: Come all without, come all within/You've not see nothing like the mighty Quinn.





Idiot Wind – If “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright” is about a simple girlfriend break-up, this one’s about dissolving marriage. It’s bigger, less focused, more messy, more complicated, and ultimately, more rewarding.

Favorite lyrics: I’ve been double-crossed now for the very last time and now I'm finally free/I kissed goodbye the howling beast on the borderline which separated you from me.



No comments: