Wednesday, June 13, 2007

5 Songs I Can't Hear Enough (the first in a series)


Wonderwall - Oasis (1995) - The simple guitar, strings and drums combined with Liam Gallagher's sneering yet vulnerable (dumb phrase, but true) voice to create the perfect song.





Where You Get Love
- Matthew Sweet (1996) - I don't like much of Sweet's catalogue, but this is a pop masterpiece. The synthesizer riff is as infectious as anything I've ever heard.



The Gift (acoustic) - Seether (2006) - The unplugged format can reveal either fraud or greatness. In the case of The Gift, Seether shows how strong their music and lyrics are, and Shaun Morgan stakes a claim as the best 20 something songwriter working today.


Tangerine - Led Zeppelin (1970) - Starts out soft and finishes with one of my favorite musical interludes ever. I could listen to the instrumental playing at the end of this song for weeks. The song has several transitions in its tight 3:10 running time, and I can't hear it enough.




Without Me - Eminem (2000) - Eminem's cadence and tone of voice in his songs is aggressive and uniquely rhythmic. This song is funny, aggressive and a perfect rap/pop song.

1 comment:

Priest said...

nice selections. for eminem, i still can't get enough of stan and whatever you say i am. although that third verse in loose yourself, over-played or not, can still give me the chills:

Tryin to feed and water my seed, plus
Teeter-totter caught up between bein a father and a pre-madonna Baby mama drama's screamin on 'n....

chills.