Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Hot Towel

Season 7, Episode 4

This one was a rough sit through for a couple of reasons. When Larry is having trouble listening to Jeff's daughter butcher a song, so am I. When Larry insists on having his doctor's home phone number, well, I'm going to side with the doctor in thinking that it's inappropriate. (You want us to study for 10 years for no money and then be available 24-7-365 for thousands of people? And you don't want to pay us? Sign me up!) I loved seeing Philip Baker Hall, but I couldn't help but think about his classic Seinfeld character, Mr. Bookman. Christian Slater was also great with his love of caviar, but this reminded me of the Costanza-double dip Seinfeld episode . . .

Sherry Stringfield was the third guest star, and she was fine, but kinda strange with her attraction to LD. I didn't really buy Larry's date with her - what if Cheryl had seen him? The set-up with the hot towel didn't pay off well and the Slater pay off was weak. But a bad CYE episode is still better than most everything else on TV. There was bound to be a let-down after the Seinfeld reunion. B

Programming note: 30 Rock starts this upcoming Thursday.

3 comments:

Lawyer said...

Priest and I watched this one to try and inject life into our bodies after having it drained at A Serious Man. It wasn't a good one. I liked the slater arguments and enjoyed Larry's theories about the specialness of doctors being turned against him and actually being appropriate. Have you watched beauty pageant Parks and Rec yet? "Do not go to the glitter factory"

Lawyer said...

David Denby on A Serious Man: "As a piece of moviemaking craft, “A Serious Man” is fascinating; in every other way, it’s intolerable." Agreed.

Doctor said...

Definitely prefer Scott to Denby. Will have to check it out soon. I'll no doubt provide a dissenting opinion.