Thursday, April 16, 2009

Money is the root of all evil?

Obviously the (large) check I wrote to the US Treasury yesterday is still bothering me. I have previously posted some small snippets from Ayn Rand's masterwork, Atlas Shrugged, but this one seemed to speak to me today: "Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?" Click here for the rest of this speech from Shrugged character Francisco D'Anconia.

1 comment:

Doctor said...

It's very simple. If you increase taxes on something (like business owners or producers), you will get less of it. If you give tax cuts or subsidies to something, you will get more of it.

I explain it to the non-believers, this way: If Obama/Pelosi/Reid increase taxes on my wife and I too much, my wife will quit her job since she wants to spend more time with the kids anyway. 5 more people will then lose their jobs because she employs them. Other people (housekeeper, landscaper) will lose our business, too. Extrapolate that microcosm out to the greater economy and you will see the problem.