Monday, February 25, 2008

Richard Lewis - February 22, 2008

In Addison, at the Improv. $22.

Richard Lewis is my favorite part of Curb Your Enthusiasm. His self-loathing and neuroticism is 'my kind of comedy.' Some people like Dane Cook or Dave Chappelle, I like Lewis, Stephen Wright and their ilk. Having only been to 1 comedy show (Seinfeld at the Fair Park Musical Hall, April 2, 2004) in my life, it was a new experience. The Improv seats about 200, all in seats at communal tables of 8. The 'two item' minimum tacks on to the cost of the ticket, but not too much for a teetotaller like me (total tab, including tip, for a diet coke and cheese fries - $20). My friends didn't get out for less than $75 after several drinks. The opening act was Dean Lewis, who was really funny without being vulgar. Then came Lewis...Click below for the rest of the review.

As he comes in, I realize he's wearing the same black outfit he always has on in his 'Curb' appearances. He immediately starts into his act (which is very far from 'family friendly'), and makes fun of the Improv for the faux brick wall and cheap lettering, as well as the fact that he has to walk through the crowd to get onstage. His act now revolves around being 60, and his regular act of being an addict and 'making everyone feel like a winner because they're not me.' He had some great bits on Shaq's anatomy, kids questions, hotels, and the list goes on. I am happy to have seen him, and it more than lived up to my expectations. He tours sparingly, so watch here for your chance to see him. For some vintage Lewis bits, watch here and here.

Viewing note: I enjoyed watching several uptight wives not enjoy the Lewis show while their husbands couldn't stop laughing. More than 1 couple left early after lots of 'go to hell' looks from the wives.

1 comment:

Gary Baumgarten said...

Richard Lewis will be my guest on News Talk Online on Paltalk.com Tuesday June 17 at 5 PM New York time.

Go to my blog, www.garybaumgarten.com for the link to talk or listen to him.