Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Last 5 Itunes Downloads


1. Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie. I am a sucker for a good hook and chorus. This song is infectious and has probably the worst lyrics of all time. The chorus: "And I'm gonna love /And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket/But Ive got to get a move on with my life/Its time to be a big girl now. Not bad for the hottest trannie on earth (note man-hands).

2. Grey Room - Damien Rice. The Reservation Road trailer features this song and its masterful chorus. Perfect for a rainy day.

3. Billie Jean - Chris Cornell. The former Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman has released a new solo album including this song. His husky grunge voice is great in an acoustic setting, and his revision of this Michael Jackson classic is a favorite of mine right now. Hat tip to Dentist for finding this one.

4. What I've Done - Linkin Park. Rock/Rap sounds stupid and bad, but LP is pretty good. This song has all the classic LP elements, including rap interludes and emotive screaming from Chester Benningfield. I like the lyrics and combination of beats and angst.

5. Tarantula - Smashing Pumpkins. Main single from the new SP album souds like classic Pumpkins. One of my favorite bands and I am happy to see them back in the game. This incarnation only features 2 of the 4 original bandmates (Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain). Lord knows what James Iha and D'arcy are doing that's better than this. No matter, Corgan wrote and arranged all of the instruments on the early records, so the DNA of the band is safe.

2 comments:

ch said...

Thank you sir, for noting that the Fergie song has the worst lyric of all time. It starts off good and then goes down hill in a hurry. Once I realized it was her it made more sense.

I'd say a close second for worst lyric is in the same song:

Like the little school mate in the school yard We'll play jacks and uno cards I'll be your best friend and you'll be my Valentine.

and third worst (sorry priest) is this lyric by U2:

Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head.

What baby is Bono smelling?

Priest said...

that is rediculous, cmh. granted, the u2 lyric makes me throw-up in my mouth a little, but that's only because of how good they can be. there are much, much, much worse lyrics out there. but i understand the intent....