Sunday, April 17, 2011

5 Great Movie Speeches

“Oh, Marcus. What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. I'm going after a find of incredible historical significance. You're talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am. “

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones
Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan



“Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it. “

Miracle (2004)
Kurt Russell as Herb Brooks
Screenplay by Eric Guggenheim



“Life goes on. A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiasms, enthusiasms... What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball! A man – a man stands alone at the plate. This is the time for what? For individual achievement. There he stands alone. But in the field - what? Part of a team. Looks, throws, catches, hustles. Part of one big team. Bats himself the live-long day, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and so on. If his team don't field - what is he? You follow me? No one. Sunny day, the stands are full of fans. What does he have to say? I'm goin' out there for myself. But... I get nowhere unless the team wins.”

The Untouchables
Robert De Niro as Al Capone
Screenplay by David Mamet



“I'm gonna tell you something. Somebody messes with me - I'm gonna mess with with him. Somebody steals from me, I'm gonna say you stole. Not talk to him for spittin' on the sidewalk. You understand? Now, I have done nothing to hurt these people. But they are angered at me, so what do they do? Doctor up some income tax - for which they got no case. To annoy me. To speak to me like men? No. To harass a peaceful man. I pray to God that if I ever had a grievance, I'd have a just a little more self respect. And I'll tell you one more thing - you have an all out prize fight - you wait until the fight is over. One guy is left standing. And that's how you know who won.”

The Untouchables
Robert De Niro as Al Capone
Screenplay by David Mamet



“Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for 17 years. 10 years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift - drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in Brooklyn. One guy lives in Sutton Place. You got a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, you know? I envy you - your youth. Go on, get laid, get drunk. Do anything. Because you got no choice, anyway. I mean, we're all f@cked. More or less, you know.”

Taxi Driver
Peter Boyle as The Wizard
Screenplay by Paul Schrader

No comments: