Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - B+

In theaters. Rated R(!), 152 minutes. Trailer.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a Swedish film based on a crime novel by Swedish author Stieg Larsson. Equal parts psychological thriller and classic mystery novel, the film was the quicket 152 minutes I've ever spent. It tells the story of a fallen high-profile reporter's investigation into the decades old disappearance of a scion of a wealthy family. He is aided by an enigmatic and strange young girl with a talent for computers, research and vengeance. Click below for more on the most popular movie in the history of Scandinavia:

The film begins with reporter Mikael Blomkist losing a libel trial and getting hired by the patriarch of Swedish conglomerate The Vanger Group to investigate the 40 year old mysterious disappearance of a niece from the family's private island on the Swedish coast. We are also introduced to the enigmatic Lisbeth Salander, a hacker for a high-end security firm. Her goth looks and curt manner stand out in conventional Sweden, especially in her interactions with the firm's clients. One of her subject is Blomkist, whom she is so interested in she chooses to track his computer on her own time, ultimately helping with his investigation and joining him on the island.

Lisbeth is a riveting character, balancing a look I don't find appealing with a magnetic aura. Her character unpeels like an onion throughout the film and your perceptions of her change with each revelation. She is subjected to some of the worst treatment I've seen on film in 2 of the most uncomfortable scenes I can remember. Don't worry though, she gets her revenge.

Blomkist is interesting enough, and the Vanger family plot unravels like an oldtime mystery thriller with its Nazis, secrets and sadistic conclusions. This feels like a 90 minute film and there are important revelations and scenes throughout. That's all I can reveal about the plot in good conscience. There are several moments that the film reminded me of both Zodiac and Seven, which is interesting because I read after I saw the movie that David Fincher is considering adapting the film for US audiences (please don't David).

I bought into the film, especially Lisbeth's character and found it much more engaging than the major critics (EW, NYT, NY'er). There are several small scenes (archives, computer guy, parade picture research) that are really great and intense. The film has something to say about men and Europe - I viewed it as an interesting comment on the supposedly superior societies of Scandinavia since there is so much depravity shown. I found the bookends of the film pretty weak, especially the beginning - had it been better, we'd be looking at an A-.

Worth your time - be aware that there are 2 very rough sexual scenes that will be uncomfortable for women.

6 comments:

Lawyer said...

Priest - I know you're going to put up at least a short review of Kickass this week, I can just feel it.

Doctor said...

I've been delayed with some reviews myself including The Box, The Informant, Brothers, Paranormal Activity, The Lovely Bones, The Damned United, Bad Lieutenant, and some comments on Sherlock Holmes and The Blind Side. Maybe later in the week.

Lawyer said...

I did Informant here: http://www.doctorlawyerpriest.com/2009/10/informant-b.html

so that will save you 1.

Priest said...

kick ass (un-rateable for me) is coming. as is the losers (C+/B-). i read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" this past year and have really been looking forward to this film. unfortunately, it hasn't shown up in my parts yet. i'm sure i know what scenes you're uncomfortable with and i've wondered how they can shoot them. thanks for the good review.

bride said...

As a female, I actually really really liked this movie. Although, there were points I was super uncomfortable watching, and I did find myself bothered by certain scenes in the days after the movie. Mistreatment of women is obviously difficult to watch, and there is a load of it in this film.

BUT, it is well shot and Lisbeth leaves you feeling hopeful. She is a fascinating character. I wasn't annoyed with her because she seemed as though there was a reason she dressed and looked the way she did, and it served a purpose for her. She also shed some of her "costume" throughout the movie, something that seemed to go along with her new and somewhat healthy relationship.

I almost picked up the book today.

Doctor said...

Basically agree with The Informant - it was on fire for about an hour but eventually just lost steam. The tone was an interesting choice that paralleled Whitacre's craziness and lack of insight.