Thursday, March 13, 2008

Quick Hits

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986). One of Woody Allen's finest, this classic explores the lives and personas of three New York sisters and their flawed male companions and suitors. I love Michael Caine's performance as the bumbling Elliot (he won an Oscar for his performance), and Dianne Wiest as the flighty sister who succeeds in the end. Barbara Hershey is terrible and miscast as the 'attractive' Lee, and she drags the movie down in several places. Woody has several great lines as the neurotic tv producer searching for meaning in life and dealing with his hypochondria. The scene where his character comes to terms with his search while watching the Marx brothers movie takes the film to another level. B+

Blade Runner (1982) I finally filled a gaping hole in my viewed filmography this week. I didn't enjoy watching this film at all. I do not like science fiction in general, and the cluttered and dark visuals combined with the nearly comedic 80's synth-sounds nearly drained all of my life force. That said, the film works as a deep and nuanced comment on the human condition, and I agree with the points made by Priest in his essay on the film. If only Ridley Scott could've featured less midgets and more Darryl Hannah. No grade.

1 comment:

Doctor said...

I love the title cards throughout Hannah and the e.e. cummings stuff. Hershey works for me and she's attractive enough. Woody with the hare krishna is hilarious.

Blade Runner captivates me every time I watch it. The occasional acting missteps are forgivable since the offenders are usually replicants, trying to act human.