Friday, January 26, 2007

The Guardian

Released on DVD this week.

Normally, I don't break my Ashton Kutcher rule, which is to not see any of his movies, but I kind of grew up on Kevin Costner movies and still hope for a return to his 1987-1991 form. Impossible I know, but parts of Tin Cup and Thirteen Days were good and Open Range was very good.

This movie is basically a remake of An Officer and a Gentlemen with parts of Top Gun and A Perfect Storm thrown in, then ending like Message in a Bottle. Kutcher plays the best swimmer in America with a troubled past. Costner plays the best Coast Guard-ian in America who is forced to teach Kutcher life lessons after a recent tragedy. Bar fights, character revelations, and redemption follows. If you haven't seen this movie before, either you are approaching viability in your mother's womb or you wrote the music for Jungle Fever. D+

1 comment:

Lawyer said...

After "The Postman" I gave up on KC. Hubris is a terrible thing.